Friday, January 9, 2009

A New Year

Well, 2009 is finally here. Ha! The last year has flown by for us! So much has happened. On January 1st, 2008 we arrived at Goodfellow AFB where Jeremy had been going to school the last two months. We moved into base housing. Leah just got used to that and then Lauren made her arrival on February 19th. Pat, my sister Kim and my mom all came for visits. We enjoyed the Texas heat and hanging out at China Beach with friends. It was great. Then as my Grandma's health started to really deteriorate, my mom called and said I had better come home to say goodbye. So, both girls and I flew home to see her. (That was no picnic at all.) I am glad we went home, because she only lived a few days after we got there. I feel like I was able to say my goodbyes and I am so glad she got to meet Lauren and see Leah again before she passed. I think it made her really happy. She knew we were coming and had my aunt get her ready to see us. She had a sense of humor right up to the end. Lauren gave her a kiss on the cheek (which was really just a big lick like a dog). I said "Grandma! She licked you!" My Grandma cracked up. Well, we were able to have a long visit with everyone after that because we stayed in Michigan for a month and a half. Jeremy had gotten orders for Fort Gordon, GA. So the movers went to the Texas apartment and packed it all up. Jeremy was able to have a couple days at home in Michigan too before the move to Georgia. Then we made the trip down here. We are again in base housing. It is decent. I wouldn't want to stay here forever. But I can't complain too much. Leah turned two in October. I can't believe it. Then sadly, my Grandpa had to go into an assisted living home this fall. I think that is one of the hardest things about being far away from home. He calls me and is so sad and tells me he wishes I could come visit and he misses the girls. It breaks my heart. On a little happier note, I have gotten my relationship back on track with my Dad. He came to visit us in Texas. It had been five years since I had seen him last. I was a little nervous about everything. But, he has come here to visit and we have gone to his house in Florida twice to visit in the last few months. I really think that he loves me and my kids and really is trying to have a relationship with us. I have never had a chance to really get to know him in my whole life. I have really enjoyed getting to know him better. Being a military family has also given us an opportunity to meet lots of very nice people. We have made some pretty terrific friendships in Texas and here that I hope will last a lifetime! Well, that pretty much sums up 2008 for me.

In 2009 these are my goals (not necessarily in this order):
1. Stop worrying about what other people think
2. Be a better wife and mother
3. Become a better cook
4. Lose weight!
5. Go back to school
6. Evangelize more

I am hoping to see more of our families from Michigan this year as well. Lauren will be turning one and Leah will be turning three. Leah will start preschool in the Fall. I think this Fall we might buy the girls bunk beds and have them share a room when Lauren is ready to go into a big girl bed. I would separate the bunks of course! I think they would like that. I want to take a trip this year for our family. I want it to be somewhere fun. We'll see I guess. I am just hoping that next year at this time I can look back at 2009 and say "what a great year, so much good happened". Moving away from Michigan has been good for me. I think I have learned to be more independent. I also think I have gained more confidence in myself. I do miss my family and friends back home. Who knows, if Jeremy does get deployed...I may go home again for another month and a half! I keep hearing that he might deploy. It is all just talk.....but it is going to happen some time or another. But I think I could handle it. WOW! I am writing a novel! Anywho....those are my New Years thoughts.

1 comment:

Hyperactive Lu said...

What great plans for the year! BTW, I didn't know you were 26! I'm always the baby in a group of friends! I finally found someone my own age!!! :) I hope this year is wonderful and has everything you have ever wanted!!! :) I love the beginning of the year...such hope and promise!